Golf cart decals now in stock for public street use in Picayune – Picayune

Residents within the city limits of Picayune can now register their golf cart for use on public roads now that the city has received the inspection stickers.

On Friday morning, the first two decals were issued at the city’s Intermodal Transportation Center on Highway 11.

Picayune Police Department Deputy Chief James Bolton said residents who live too far from the intermodal transportation hub, or any resident for that matter, can call a police officer to come to their home and have their property inspected. golf cart to make sure she’s on the road. worthy. Once the inspection is complete, the officer will issue a form allowing this resident to pick up their inspection stickers at the Intermodal Transport Center.

Requirements for using a golf cart on city streets include working headlights, taillights, brake lights, windshield, triangular plate on the rear of the vehicle, turn signals, and seat belts .

In addition, the owner must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance on the golf cart. Bolton said it is illegal for minors to drive a golf cart on city streets unless they have a valid driver’s license or learner’s permit and are accompanied of a licensed adult.

Vehicles that qualify as golf carts for street use must be recreational in nature and have a maximum speed of 25 miles per hour. Also, the use of golf carts is only permitted on city streets with a maximum speed limit of 30 miles per hour, and therefore cannot be used on a major road such as Highway 11 Other roads where the use of golf carts is prohibited include Interstate 43 North, Interstate 43 South, Memorial Boulevard and Interstate 59.

While golf carts are being used on city streets, the operator should keep the vehicle in the rightmost lane of a multi-lane street.

The golf cart registration fee is $100 the first time and $50 for annual renewals. If a person only wants to drive a golf cart on city streets for one day, a one-day permit can be purchased for $12.

Permits can be obtained by contacting the police department and having an officer perform the inspection Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Or the owner can tow the cart to the Intermodal Transportation Center located at 200 Highway 11 S during these hours.