WELLSBURG – Wellsburg council was again split on Tuesday over whether to allow the driving of golf carts on certain streets and Mayor Dan Dudley again broke the tie.
But this time, Dudley voted against the measure, saying he had reviewed it and sought legal advice as well as public comment.
He said of the latter that he had heard “more no than yes” with some voicing the concert, the carts would be used by young people to damage property.
Dudley also said he believed the town police had enough issues to deal with.
The idea was suggested by Ward 2 City Councilor Paul Billiard, who said they are popular in residential areas in other communities and may attract new residents to the city.
A second reading of an ordinance authorizing them, under certain conditions, was seconded by the councilor of the 2nd quarter Mary Margaret Ross, the councilor of the 4th quarter Della Serevicz and the councilor of the 1st quarter Jack Kins.
The voices against were 4th Ward Councilor Charlie Harris, 3rd Ward Councilors Randy Fletcher and Tom Gaudio, and 1st Ward Councilor Jerry Nichols.
The same split vote occurred during the order’s first reading on November 9.
On Tuesday, Billiard expressed his anger at the lack of support, calling on those who voted against “cowards.”
Dudley said he would not allow himself and others to be insulted.
Billiard said some council members lacked vision for making changes to the city.
“This is, for me, the reason why we are stagnant in the city”, he said before leaving the meeting.
Had the ordinance been approved, the trolleys could not be driven on streets with a speed limit greater than 25, although they could be used to cross National Highway 2.
Their owners would have been required to register them annually with the City, presenting proof of liability insurance, and would have been issued a license and sticker for their carts.
City attorney Ryan Weld said that on second reading he added wording identifying the chief of police or someone designated as responsible for inspecting vehicles.
In the remaining business, council accepted an offer of $ 71,691 from Grae-Con Construction to replace the steps leading up to town hall.
The plans call for a set of steps with guardrails to extend directly from the entrance to the town square below and a disabled-accessible V-shaped ramp to be added on the east side of the gates.
Last year, council approved the installation of an electronic folding door accessible to people with disabilities.
Fletcher insisted the offer be accepted, saying deterioration under the concrete steps will eventually cause them to collapse and someone will be injured.
He noted that council approved the design of the new steps in May 2020 and agreed to solicit bids for them in August of that year, but the city had not received any bids.
When this happened, City Manager Steve Maguschak looked more directly for a contractor for the project.
Also on Tuesday, Maguschak said an ad for a city grant writer drew two applicants. He asked the council to review the process by which they will select the person who will serve the city as an independent contractor.
Alex Weld, a member of the city’s urban redevelopment authority, had suggested the move as a way to seek federal funds for infrastructure improvements.
Plans have also been made for the monthly board committee meetings to be held on January 4 starting at 6 p.m. The meeting was moved from December 21 due to the holidays.