Man and child killed, others injured after car hits golf cart in Iredell County

STATESVILLE, NC (QUEEN CITY NEWS) – Troopers were back at the scene along Fort Dobbs Road on Tuesday after a fatal accident occurred the night before.

According to a statement from the NC State Highway Patrol, Michael Marlowe, 39, and his son Bentley Marlowe, 5, both of Statesville, were killed after an impaired driver crashed into a golf cart .

Four other people, aged 2, 13, 16 and 26, also suffered serious injuries in the accident and were taken to local trauma centres.

Soldiers said Austin Harmon, 23, of Statesville, was intoxicated and driving a Honda Accord when he crossed the center line and hit the golf cart.

“It was tough for the first responders who were there and dealing with this in real time,” said North Carolina State Highway Patrol Master Trooper Jeffrey Swagger.

Following the accident, a number of memories came to light. One, at the scene of the accident, where an improvised flower memorial had been set up. Another is a wreath that was placed on the door of Michael Marlowe’s business, B&B Auto Glass and Mirror.

Queen City News has spoken to several people confidentially about what happened and who was involved. For many, the news is still new for everyone involved.

Austin Harmon (Iredell County Detention Center)

One person said they spoke with Marlowe about an hour before the accident and described him as a talented businessman and a well-known figure in the community.

Neighbors described the scene in detail Monday night. While none wanted to speak to the record about this story, they said the scene of the accident was in two locations – at a curve just before the intersection of Dobbs Drive, where the initial accident happened , and on the other side of this intersection, about 150 meters further on, where the car involved came to a stop.

Harmon, was arrested after the crash and charged with impaired driving, two felony counts of death per vehicle and three felony counts of grievous bodily injury per vehicle.

Harmon was not injured in the accident, the soldiers said.

Fort Dobbs Road was closed for about seven hours overnight while authorities investigated the accident.