NW MEC Lehari says department has nothing to hide on donkey cart acquisitions

Earlier this month, the province’s transport department handed over 20 donkey carts to villages around the capital, some of which are already broken down.

Some of the donkey carts purchased by the North West Government. Image: Image: North West Department of Community Safety and Transportation Management/Facebook

JOHANNESBURG – The North West government has said it has nothing to hide over the acquisition of donkey carts in the province.

The provincial transport department held a press conference in Mahikeng on Friday to explain what it called “confusion”.

Earlier this month, the province’s transport department handed over 20 donkey carts to villages around the capital, some of which are already broken down.

The provincial transport department has taken action to address growing concerns over donkey carts being purchased and distributed to residents around Mahikeng.

Earlier this month, 20 donkey carts here were handed over to villagers, some of which are now parked and broken.

The Special Investigation Unit (SIU) is currently investigating the acquisition which cost the taxpayer R780,000.

But MEC Sello Lehari said his department had nothing to hide.

“At this time, I have found no wrongdoing until investigations are completed.”

He said he would lead any investigation.

“I have received the report. I am still going through the report. I will be finished today. If there are any further questions, which prompt an official investigation, I will take that direction.”

Accompanied by the service provider who built the carts, the MEC assured reporters that the costs of repairing the carts would not cost taxpayers a penny.